Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Sketchbook Project



I've decided to participate in the 2011 Sketchbook Project which is "like a concert tour but with sketchbooks." Art House has been doing this for a few years now and it gets bigger every time. Artists submit their sketchbook provided by Art House and after taking them all to different stops around the country for other people to see exhibition style, they are finally stored at their library in Brooklyn where they remain forever. Each sketchbook has a unique barcode and you get notified each time someone checks out your book to look at. You also have the option of them digitizing your entire book to be uploaded on their website, which is an effort to help make your art be seen by as many people as possible. A really neat project, I think.

I bought my moleskine sketchbook from their site a few months back, I believe during the summer, and haven't figured out how I want it to look like yet...until just now when my brain had a moment.

The theme I chose is "A day in the life." It's not hard to fill up a thin moleskine with pages of drawings, but then again, it is. There's an insatiable need for it to be perfect knowing hundreds of people will be present to check it out. You want it to stand out among the thousands of other sketchbooks that will be there too.

For me, a day in the life is a subtle but constant effort to break mundane routine. What do I do to stay interested, invested, and inspired?

I have about three months to fill my moleskine with awesome stuff, and I'm excited!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome project. i wanna visit the library...